Wednesday, May 1, 2013

An Inspired Decision

It has been a busy few days.  After staging for over 20 years, my inventory has hit critical mass.  I found a larger, climate controlled space 5 minutes from my house.  I had to be out of my old unit by today. This move required that I make a weighty decision.

I inherited a lovely Drexel dining room set from my parents. After 10 years in storage, "it" was in poor condition. 
My Parent's Dining Room

The Facts:
1.We are never moving. I will never have the space to use "it".

2.I can't restore "it". I don't have the time or talent (like Heather of New House New Home).
3.I am emotionally attached to it. "It" holds childhood memories of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. (This makes parting with "it" hard...)
4. But, "it" could not go with me to the new storage space.

What to do? What to do?

The Decision:
I gave "it" away.  My favorite design shop, Hillary's Interiors, does an amazing job of transforming lifeless furniture into masterpieces. The owner, Dean, has always been super generous in giving me a break on everything I purchase.  Within an hour of my offer to bequeath "it", the dining room set was on the Hillary's truck and back at their store.

Why?
I could not bare meeting wheeler-dealers at my storage unit and dickering price. (The Queen of Craigslist knows all about working a deal!)


Have you ever made a decision that is illogical but felt like it was the right decision for you?

Thanks for listening!



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hard decision Patty. I know memories are of the heart--not what we own--still I was inspired to give it new life for someone else to enjoy.

      Delete
  2. First of all, I am not talented just determined. But thank you for the sweet compliment.

    Secondly, I make those types of decisions all the time - I remember my mother asking me if I wanted the matching china cabinet to a Duncan Fyfe set my parents had when I was a child (somehow when they got divorced they split the set up). I was living in a small apartment at the time - I had the table and chairs - but no room for the cabinet. So I said no and off to the dumpster it went. I still regret that decision and it was 40 years ago. But truthfully it was the right thing to do.

    You've given your cherished table a new life by giving it to someone who can transform it into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear friend. Really? Off to the dumpster--it breaks my heart!

      Delete
  3. Oh and another thing........stuff is just stuff. It's the memories of that "stuff" that makes them sentimental, not the actual thing itself. You'll always have the memories of those happy times around that table even if the table has moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, I dealt with the same issues dissolving my parents home. You just can't keep everything, right? I try sometimes, but now I just take pictures of it and store it in albums. Hope all is well, and have a great weekend!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy dealing with your parents stuff is so hard! I'm still holding on to some smaller pieces I should let go--thinking I will give them new life!

      Delete