Sunday, July 22, 2012

Staging My Deck - Seating Area


Sunny Seating Area
Here's my 'new' deck.  It is a fairly long and narrow space.  I decided to divide it into two areas.  One as the main seating area and the other as the dining area.  I love the canopy umbrella but am not fan of the metal pole.  As a distraction, I placed Ficus trees around it.  The trees create a natural divider and helped the seating area feel cozy.  I love the happy yellow!




I placed a long console table on a diagonal in front of the Ficus trees. The low table straddles the base of the umbrella. The base is massive and weighted and I wanted it hidden. The table further divides the deck and functions as an end table for the settee and chair.  The table was a freebie a seller bequethed me when she moved.

Staging on a Budget
My goal was to stage using mostly what I had. I only purchased a few items for this makeover.  The rug is poly vinyl from World Market.  I looked at many outdoors rugs and fell in love with this one even before I saw the $15.99 price.  The yellow cushion on the settee I stumbled upon at Pier One.  The manager knows me and sold it to me for $45 (I saw a dirty corner!).  The yellow Sunbrella cushion, also from World Market, is new and was on sale for $19--more than I wanted to spend but I had to have it.


Perched Among the Trees
The wrought iron Bistro set is old and weathered but one of our favorites.  It provides an extra seating area across from the settee.  Our deck is on the second story.  Our friends say we live in 'a tree house'.  That is one of the charms of Casa Beam.
These bentwood chairs have been in countless houses I've staged.  I just retrieved them  from a house that sold.  They are stylish and comfortable.  This vingette creates yet another seating area adjacent to the settee and next to the Bistro table and chairs.


I had to include this picture of our snake plant. It must be 25 years old.  Some time ago, I planted asparagus ferns in the base. This year they came back with gusto and actually flowered for first time everI think the snake plant looks like living sculpture. Don't you?
The double windows are from the kitchen.  The French doors lead into the Family Room.  The flow from indoors to the deck is optimal for entertaining--everyone is within line of site.

Sad, Pitiful Before Photos
Here are the "Before" pictures of the of the deck. It definitely needed attention. It was 100 degrees the day I took these shots, hence the condensation on lens.

Ephipany from the Cowboy
Husband  (he was wearing Cowboy boots when we met, so I call him,"Cowboy")  and I were sitting out enjoying our new deck.  Cowboy says, "Everything looks so nice.  We really should stain the deck."  Umh, been waiting on that for years.

I said, "In the words of Carole King, "It's too late, baby. Now, it's too late."
Maybe it will get stained next year...

I love our new space.  Hope you enjoy the new staging too!

20 comments:

  1. Finally got to see the final product, lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve it. The bright colors really look great. But when I try to put odd pieces together, they just look like odd pieces. Great job. You can wait and stain the deck in the fall when it is cooler, by then maybe Greg Beam will decide on a color. HA, HA.
    Once again, beautiful and worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! So glad you love it! It was fun to stage something for us to use. Hope you are right and the deck gets stained. You are so sweet to leave such a great comment.

      Delete
  2. Linda, I love it!
    You have lovely sitting areas and the re-purposing was ingenious. The yellow is perfect against the house colors. You were able to shop like a pro!
    Wonderful....Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! I so appreciate your generous flattery! I'll show the seating area in my next post.

      Delete
  3. Linda this looks fantastic! I can't believe that rug for 15.99- I ordered the blue and white one for my indoor sunroom from there and sent it back since it looked more like an outdoor rug to me, but what a price! I love yellow; it's one of my all time fans. Thanks for stopping by our blog..I am enjoying your stories! Have a great day.
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I always enjoy seeing what you are up to. Yes, the rug is most definitely an outside rug. It is perfect for the wear and tear it will receive in front of my French doors. I appreciate you stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Hi Linda! Thanks for visiting our (beginning) blog. Your deck looks beautiful. I agree with Nancy, can't believe the rug was $15.99.

    Thanks again! I look forward to reading your blog.

    Lyvonne
    the essentials inside
    by essentials enterprise, llc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyvonne, so glad you stopped by! The rug was definitely a lot of bang for the buck. I look forward to seeing your blog grow.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love that rug! Followed you back!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I look forward to reading all your posts.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Linda - Your deck is really inviting and big....you have so much room! The yellow is pure sunshine :-) Always many great ideas on your blog. You are very kind to share. Thanks much!!
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Loi, you are always so complimentary. Thank you. You are my sunshine!

      Delete
  7. That yellow rug really makes such as statement! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. It was my inspiration for everything else in the seating area.

      Delete
  8. I saw the new deck in person and your pictures are so vivid I feel like I'm still there. I just love it!!! The yellow is so bright and cheery, it puts a smile on my face. This is so beautiful and I am so jealous of your deck and your skill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you stopped by to preview the deck. I appreciate you being my 'foot model' for the stool. We will have many memories to share on my new HAPPY deck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m impressed with how much you’ve done, given that your deck was long and narrow. It doesn’t look like it in the photos, honestly. You’ve really staged the area. :D I love how you’ve focused all the colors on the sunny seating area. I’m sure it wouldn’t be so sunny if you consistently used vibrant-colored pieces and furniture for the rest of the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is definitely a great change from the “before” photos! The staging looks great! If the days are sunny and you can enjoy more shady afternoons, the deck would totally be perfect to have coffee in while chatting with friends and watching your children play. Great staging!

    Dennis Phillips

    ReplyDelete