Sunday, August 3, 2014

Sunday Musings: The Best Way to Discourage Business.

This is what I envision for our living room.  Our living room has a fireplace and is about the same size.
Southern Living
Or this one.  A bit more formal.  I have the same floor to ceiling windows....
Cote de Texas
It would be fabulous to have clients over to my house. But I don't encourage it. Since staging is design/decor related, folks expect my house to be amazing.
Wrong-y Dong-y.

I've been bitching about my living room for years.  It is a small room that is hard to arrange--lots of windows and doors.  I have two full-size-coordinating-but-not-the-same-sofas. I have shopped and shopped to replace them to no avail. There are are generous chairs, an upholstered ottoman, a 39" square coffee table, and an entertainment center.  As I post this (making a mental inventory). I realize there are also two console tables, three occasional tables and h-e-l-l-o two full size Ficus trees.  Truth: my trees have strings of lights on them (I am a recovering redneck, ya know).
 
I could just show you a picture.  Why don't I do that?



Cuz I'm embarrassed. 

My living room does not reflect the attention to detail I give my work. When I stage, I create flow and cohesion. Furniture editing is premo.  There is no clutter.   My rooms are pretty.  If I had to evaluate my living room, as I do my clients, I would give me a "D".  (I do love my art gallery wall.) 

What I am coming around to acknowledging, is that my hodge-podge living room fits the way we live.  I never cringe when my neighbors come by to share a glass of wine and bring in their dog.  I  don't scold my grandson when he spills.  We lounge, eat, drink, and wallow in our living room.

A friend was over Friday night. She arranged a nest of throw pillows, threw her feet up and had her beer precariously perched on the sofa. She was comfortable and happy and so was I.  I'm baby sitting my grand dog Cooper.  Cooper curled up with my friend.  On the opposite sofa, my pooch, Izzie, settled in with me after 'digging' the perfect spot.  Good times my peeps. Good times.



So there you have it.  I don't practice what I preach.  Of course, I'm not selling my house but somehow that doesn't satisfy my insecurity over being judged for my not-so-grand living room.

I covet a beautiful Traditional Home living room.  It would be smart to show case my talent and entertain clients....

But, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

So, stop in for a glass a wine.  And bring your dog.

11 comments:

  1. Your honesty is refreshing! I have a few rooms that I try to keep "pretty" (difficult task with two little guys running around) - but then there are definitely those rooms in my home that are needing major attention! It's very difficult balancing a "pretty" home and one that can actually be lived in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Kristen keeping an orderly house is next to impossible with kids--not to mention pretty. Be easy on yourself and enjoy the little ones. They don't stay little for long.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it always the same - the hairdresser's hair is a mess, the massage therapist is stiff and sore and the landscaper's garden is full of weeds. So relax, enjoy the comfort and coziness that you have created. If and when you sell, it will be a palace.
    Another thought just came to mind - you are not "designing" a style for your clients, so you don't need to show off that style. You are creating a saleable product. So they don't need to come to your house to see a staged home.
    Now where's my wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I know you are going to come walking through my front door some day. We will celebrate with wine! I'll bring you in from Canada to redo my landscaping, too!

      Delete
  3. Enjoy!
    Have a glass of wine with friends and enjoy living!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patty, I WISH I could keep a beautiful home like you and MC do. Maybe when I grow up....

      Delete
  4. Dear Linda,
    You and your home is what I aspire to be. Warm, inviting, and beautiful. Just dressy enough for visitors to be impressed, but not so stuffy to be afraid of touching anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie, what sweet words from a sweet friend. Thank you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so true, we all have some rooms behind closed doors that are not 'done' to our liking...it seems to take a lifetime and lots of money to do an entire home just the way we want. Plus, my tastes change on a regular basis since I live 'inspired' so Im too fickle to commit to a look for very long. I would love to sit with you or have you over to my home for a beer or glass of wine! xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy, I would LOVE to visit you and share a drink! I really appreciate your comment. You summed it up well--I too am fickle when it comes to committing to decor.

      Delete
  7. I have to agree with Connie, your house was always what I wanted mine to look like. And speaking as the friend that was nestled on the pillows I love your house. If you won't share pics of it, will you at least share your new mantle arrangement?? I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete