Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sentimental Journey

Norman Rockwell

I love Thanksgiving. 

It is a holiday that requires so little of you-

only feasting, family and friends,

and gratitude.

It is a day to reflect on that sacred American value of thankfulness for all the blessings we share in this Country.


Retailers, really?
The Guardian

Retailers are now open on "Grey Thursday" as well as "Black Friday".

I know two 'kids' that work retail. They are working 14 hour days Thursday and Friday.  Asking off for Thanksgiving is not an option.

I am thankful that I have many memories of celebrating Thanksgiving. (Oh yeah, we've had our "Griswald" moments. The colorful moments add to the charm.)

I makes me sad those folks that have to work on Thursday.


Thanksgiving at the Food Court just seems wrong!

5 comments:

  1. Geez, that's not the way it should be :( I guess stores are trying to increase sales, but still....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loi, I hope you are entertaining in your gorgeous house for Thanksgiving. I'm sure you are the perfect host or a most welcomed guest. Happy Thanksgiving, Sunshine! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awful.....I used to work in retail (here in Canada) and it's not so bad. But many stores are actually staying open more and more holidays. In fact, the only day that our main downtown Toronto mall is now closed is Good Friday. They are even open Christmas Day this year for the first time because it's considered a "tourist area" and because it's so ethnically diverse that alot of people don't celebrate Christmas. There will actually be a lot of staff who will be happy to make the overtime working that day (Muslims, etc. who don't celebrate). It's a strange world we live in these days. And the retail "gods" get greedier and greedier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I am so with you...this is unreal! I am so thankful I live in a small town...that I can shop online...and that my kids are grown and we give money to others instead of spending it...I sometimes forget how big city life is so stark..I hope you have the best of holidays! You are dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting how we have meshed together the day we focus on what we are grateful for with running out to get "more".

    ReplyDelete