Friday, August 3, 2012

Beds in front of Windows? It doesn't work for selling.

When you house is on the market, you are selling the architecture and the view.   A house needs to show as light, bright and airy. Blocked windows can impede that feeling.

In this beautiful bedroom, we are selling the fireplace, the windows, and the view.  The furniture configuration is not condusive for selling.
Lisa Sherry
High headboards are very on-trend right now. They are a great design look, but please put them on a wall and not in front of windows when you are selling your house.

BH&G

The bed in this picture is simply too big for the tiny space.  It is literally 'eating' square footage as well as blocking the windows.  This room would show better with a day bed.

BH&G

If your room is too small to prevent placing the bed in front of the window, you should rethink the furniture and its placement in the room.  How you live in your house and how you sell your house are two completely different things.

Pinterest



VOTE FOR LISA MENDE

My blogger friend, Lisa Meade of Lisa Meade Designs in Charlotte, was asked to create a design board for Olioboard.  The winner of the challenge gets to be a Style Spotter at the High Point Furniture Market this fall!  This is a highly coveted honor in the design world.  Please vote for her.


Lisa Mende Design/Aqua Delight


Thanks!

Happy Friday, y'all,

Linda

18 comments:

  1. I will! I'm so glad to be a new follower :)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, except the link doesn't seem to be working, at least for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, I am so not a tech girl. I'll try to change it BUT if you can go to to Olioboard it will guide you through it and it is really easy. BTY Olioboard is fun to use so check it out. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FOLLOWING ME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice for bed placements.
    Glad to see you too have promoted our fellow blogger, Lisa. She's in the lead now and I'm hoping we all keep her there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed Lisa gets it. What an awesome opportunity. Maybe we should attend the Market and stalk those lucky Style Spotters!

      Delete
  5. Due to lack of floor space and awkwardly placed windows in our master, we have our bed in front of the window. It drives me crazy design-wise but I am trying to make it work for the sake of enjoying a king bed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beth, I always say if it works for you and your house isn't for sale--more power to ya! Hard to beat a King!

      Delete
  6. Hi Linda - Yes, totally agree! Windows are wonderful but can be difficult to work around. Especially in a small bedroom. I love going to open houses....lots to see and learn :-) Can definitely tell and appreciate a good floor plan.
    xoxo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loi, I think Show Houses are the best for seeing what's hot, what works, and what is just designer-strutting-their-crazy-ass-ego funny. I bet we would have a blast touring them together. Thanks for commenting, Sunshine. xxoo

      Delete
  7. Great post LInda! Those oversized beds totally ruin the space.. Windows sell, right? at least change the furniture for the sale....Have a great day, Linda.
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nancy, windows sell AND we are selling those windows. Buyers deserve to see what they are buying. I think you can't have too much natural light in a house! Thanks for commenting. I read through all of Powell Brower's posts today. Learned alot!

      Delete
  8. I worked for a staging company for a short time Linda ... and you are so right ... it seems we have to stage our homes in a very different way to sell vs. living. So many people cannot see what the potential is without your staging expertise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim. I fancy myself a boutique stager. I have a limited client base so I can devote full attention to the specifics of their house, their market, their target audience, etc. After ten years, I do feel like I have 'staging expertise'. Very nice compliment, Kim!

      Delete
  9. Thank you, thank you, thank you of your support and votes! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Lisa. I know you are going to win!

      Delete
  10. Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand a lot approximately this, such as you
    wrote the e book in it or something. I feel that you can do with a few p.
    c. to pressure the message home a little bit, however instead of that, this is wonderful blog.

    An excellent read. I'll definitely be back.

    Review my webpage :: aaliyah greatest hits

    ReplyDelete