Monday, January 27, 2014

Sunday Musings: The Chore List



OK, it is January and I am trying to be more efficient in 2014. (Yawn....I'd far rather read a shelter magazine.) In an effort to be a better house manager (mo' betta title than 'housewife', no?), I turned to Pinterest for direction. It seems some of the Pinterest contributors have mastered my nemesis--housework.

Pinterest has pointed me towards blogs that I wouldn't normally read.  These blogs on organizing and cleaning methods are head-scratchers for sure. They provide a list of chores assigned to certain days of the week.  But these lists don't include things that need to be done at my house.

"Tuesday: Dust".  They direct me to start at the top and work my way down. What about the time it takes to get the ladder out and set up. Not to mention the furniture that must be moved to get to the armoire to dust the top of it. Dust E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G? I'm a surface swiper. I'm guessing I'm supposed to wipe the sides and legs.  Completely unnecessary, I'd say.

One blog suggests I slide a pillow case over the ceiling fan blades to capture dust. (I think I would have more success herding cats.) Time for stopping to run outside, shake it out and wash the pillowcase is not allotted.  I guess the blogger doesn't realize it is not a good idea to send me out of the room.  I may never return.  Do you ever leave what your are doing and get distracted into another activity?
 
Does no one own pets?  There is no mention of cleaning up after pets. My pooch Izzie makes a bit of a mess with her water, food bowls, toys, buried bones and tumbleweed fur balls.  And, not one of them--not a single one of them--has "change the cat litter" on the list. My elderly cat kicks litter out of the box and it is a time consuming to dump, clean, wash the box, and reload the litter.

"Thursday: Mop Floors" directive doesn't include time for sweeping.  Ya have to sweep the floors first, right?  Don't these good housekeepers sweep their floors first? 

Seems to me, these lists are like a recipe that ends with "serve warm" and doesn't tell you what you need to doto prepare the meal.  I don't get it...

I just don't get it.
 

10 comments:

  1. So that's where you've been - in crazy house management land. These plans are terrific if nobody actually lives with you. Even on the "morning chores" list, it didn't mention getting yourself up and out the door on time. They didn't mention make lunches for 4 or start dinner before leaving for work. Unrealistic for sure. I say hire a cleaning lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather I typically use January to figure out how to approach the rest of my year--so I haven't been a good blogger. I've tried having a cleaning lady. They start off great and then slack off. The last one finished my house in 45 minutes and I found her using a spray bottle of water and moving a Swiffer on my kitchen floor instead of mopping.

      Delete
  2. I do "Preventive Cleaning" ! Have written about it a number of times. It basically is doing a little dab of all every day. The house is always clean! And, no hard long days of hard labor!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty I have read your posts on cleaning. You do more than a dab everyday! As I recall, you even clean your windows everyday. You are super woman! Please come to NC and teach me!

      Delete
  3. The system I found most workable (and only when I do it because I am 1) a natural slob and 2) highly resistant to being told what to do, even when I have asked to be told what to do) is Fly Lady. I ignore the extraneous stuff and just use the cleaning/decluttering system. I've been in an extended "off" period and my house is chaos, though I did spend the weekend throwing things out and setting aside things to donate. But the daily routines, the concentrating on one area a day, concise instructions, and breaking it down into 15 minutes commitments makes it easier to follow than many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adele. Love your #2 'highly resistant' response (were we separated at birth?) I will gladly check out Fly Lady! I hope she can teach me some helpful tips.

      Delete
  4. I think that's one of the downfalls of Pinterest. Oversimplified ideas, and no one holding these posts accountable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim,
      Lord knows, I spent a considerable amount of time research cleaning and organizing figuring if these people blog about it, they should know the best method. Oh well...

      Delete
  5. HA! I wonder how you can fold the laundry when you get home when you put it in the wash when you left? Do fairies come in and place it in the dryer??? Just sayin'!! I am an avoider as well!! xo

    ReplyDelete