Monday, March 25, 2013

The Bee's Have It

A deacon's bench has been on my porch for many years.  My husband brought it in yesterday so I would have room to stack some outgoing staging stuff.
Bing
 Last summer Carpenter Bees decided it was tasty and drilled a hole into it.  My exterminator adores lecturing on the malice of insects.  I admit I nodded off somewhere between the mating habits and destruction at maturation.  Exterminator John sprayed it after removing the batting I stuffed inside and duct tape barrier I had masterfully placed.  (Why did I think that would keep them out when they can bore through wood?) 
Mick's Exterminating
In the living room yesterday evening, I heard a buzzing extraordinaire.  There, on the window, was the largest bee I've ever seen.  I mean horror movie big.  And that sucker was ANGRY.  He whipped himself against the window over and over in a whirling dervish.   Mr. Cowboy came to my rescue with a paper towel and cradled him until released outside.

Later, I hear the same buzzzz.....zapppp....zappp into the window.  How can this bee (pun alert!)?  I saw #1 take flight.  Yep,  you got it! #2 was out of the coven ready to torment me.
Bing
Only with #2's appearance did we realized that somehow these boogers had endured the winter in  our deacon's bench.  I guess when the warm air inside hit them they decided to come out and play.

Can you imagine if that deacon's bench had been used for staging?

Just saying.....

3 comments:

  1. Did not realize that bees could bore through wood. A good lesson for those of us who like to move things inside and out. Hope that #2 was the end of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is that bench now?
    Are you sure they are ALL gone?.....
    We had them a few years back enjoying our Pergola! Put a quick end to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bees...very misunderstood...but don't want them on my deacon's bench...just my picnic table!

    ReplyDelete